Mission, Vision and Values
The mission of National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder is to provide education, raise public awareness and understanding, decrease stigma, promote research, and enhance the quality of life of those affected by Borderline Personality Disorder and/or related problems, including emotion dysregulation.
Building a world where emotional wisdom prevails.
NEABPD Core values are distinguishing attributes of NEABPD that are deeply held convictions that characterize how we operate:
- We strive to promote a compassionate and non-judgmental understanding of Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) and emotion dysregulation.
- We believe there is hope and are committed to engaging in actions grounded in empathy for the person with lived experience, their families, their providers, and researchers.
- We are committed to making our programs available to all and ensuring an environment where everyone feels welcome and safe.
- We strive to include and increase access to anyone impacted by emotion dysregulation.
- We know BPD and emotion dysregulation occur in the context of relationships and impact the lives of those with lived experiences and their families.
- We believe people with BPD and emotion dysregulation can create meaningful lives and relationships.
- We can’t solve this alone. We need to work together.
- We are grounded in evidence-based principles and approaches to alleviate suffering of those impacted by BPD and emotion dysregulation.
- We make decisions based on data.
Since its founding in 2001 NEABPD
efforts have led to the following
Family Connections Program
Creation of the international Family Connections Program
Collection and maintenance of the world’s largest media library on BPD
Host of more than 65 national and international conferences
Recognition and Awards
from American Psychiatric Association and National Alliance on Mental Illness
BPD Awareness Month
Congressional endorsement of BPD Awareness Month
Publication of 3 major books
Establishment of numerous professional education courses
Hosting the only weekly call-in series for those affected by BPD
The American Psychiatric Association awarded NEABPD with the “2012 Distinguished Service Award”
The National Alliance on Mental Illness named Dr. Perry Hoffman as the recipient of the “2011 Excellence in Community Mental Health Award.”